What to do when your grain free recipes don’t “hold a candle” to the old stand-by recipes for cupcakes, cookies, and cakes? It can take a lot of trial and error to adapt recipes to a gut healing diet, and still taste good.
I am happy to say that I can offer one cupcake recipe that holds up.
Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes (Primal, GAPS, Grain-Free, Gluten-Free)
These cupcakes inspired and adapted from this recipe by Comfy Belly
One caveat: Cocoa and baking soda is allowed for folks on advanced Full GAPS, when all digestive symptoms are gone.
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa (fair trade best)
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup raw honey
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine all the dry ingredients and mix well
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat
- Mix eggs, honey and melted butter together
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and mix for at least a minute or more, until smooth without clumps (coconut flour expands as it takes in moisture, so it is good to give it a little time)
- Fill each cupcake liner ½ way up
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes before applying frosting
- Frost and enjoy! You can store these at room temp or in the fridge. The buttercream frosting will stay "in shape" better in the fridge.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 2 sticks, or 1 cup butter (softened to room temp)
- 2/3 cup honey
- 4 Tbs unsweetened cocoa
- Combine in mixer and blend until smooth and pliable enough to go into a pastry bag for piping
Try these out for your next birthday party or family celebration…they will be a hit!