I will admit that I was dreaming of my mom’s braided cardamom currant bread this holiday season. I started thinking about how fragrant and delicious the cardamom spice is. One thought leading to another, I decided to start simple, with some grain free cardamom currant muffins. These are easy to whip up in about 10 minutes, and bake in less than 20 minutes.
As you are making these don’t forget to inhale the heady fragrance of the ground cardamom! These pair beautifully with some hearty winter soup, or with eggs and bacon on a Saturday morning.
Enjoy, and let me know what you think in the comments below!Print
Grain Free Cardamom Currant Muffins
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 6 eggs (preferably pastured)
- 1/2 cup organic butter, melted (alternatively use coconut oil)
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup raw honey (depending on your sweetness preference)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with liners.
- Combine the eggs, butter, honey and vanilla in a large bowl or in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Combine the coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom and currants in a bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well so there aren’t any clumps. (Give the coconut flour a minute or two to absorb the moisture and expand)
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.