There is roast chicken, and then there is Roast Chicken with Plums. Two beautiful whole, organic chickens are marinated with a special rub that includes ground sumac and plenty of garlic with healthy fats and then set to roast over a sheet pan full of plums, shallots, and other goodness.
Serve this for a hearty weeknight dinner, or a special occasion this fall. This recipe fits within the GAPS Diet, Paleo, Gluten-free, Grain-free, and Primal ways of eating. Enjoy.
Special Note: This recipe is featured in this week of the GAPS Dinner Club. Click here to check out the GAPS Dinner Club.Print
Two beautiful whole chickens are marinated with a special rub that includes ground sumac, lemon, olive oil, and plenty of garlic and then set to roast over a sheet pan full of plums, shallots, and other goodness.
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 organic chickens, approximately 4 pounds each (preferably pasture raised)
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 1/4 pounds plums, halved
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay life, torn in half
- Grate the zest from the lemons & place in a small bowl
- Mix sumac, salt, pepper, cinnamon, & allspice into the lemon zest then mix it all over the chickens, including inside the chicken cavities
- Divide thyme bunch in half and put half inside of each chicken cavity
- Place the chickens on a roasting rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and let them marinate, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- When ready to roast, let the chickens come to room temperature for a 1/2 hour while pre-heating your oven to 350°
- Mix the plum mixture in a medium bowl, remove the roasting rack long enough to spread out the plum mixture
- Bake until chicken is golden-skinned and cooked through, approximately 1 1/2 hours
- Carve & serve with the plum mixture