There is roast chicken, and then there is Roast Chicken with Plums. Two beautiful whole, organic chickens are marinated with a special rub that includes ground sumac and plenty of garlic with healthy fats and then set to roast over a sheet pan full of plums, shallots, and other goodness.
Serve this for a hearty weeknight dinner, or a special occasion this fall. This recipe fits within the GAPS Diet, Paleo, Gluten-free, Grain-free, and Primal ways of eating. Enjoy.
Special Note: This recipe is featured in this week of the GAPS Dinner Club. Click here to check out the GAPS Dinner Club.Print
Roast Chicken with Plums
Two beautiful whole chickens are marinated with a special rub that includes ground sumac, lemon, olive oil, and plenty of garlic and then set to roast over a sheet pan full of plums, shallots, and other goodness.
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons ground sumac
- 4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 organic chickens, approximately 4 pounds each (preferably pasture raised)
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 1/4 pounds plums, halved
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 bay life, torn in half
- Grate the zest from the lemons & place in a small bowl
- Mix sumac, salt, pepper, cinnamon, & allspice into the lemon zest then mix it all over the chickens, including inside the chicken cavities
- Divide thyme bunch in half and put half inside of each chicken cavity
- Place the chickens on a roasting rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and let them marinate, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- When ready to roast, let the chickens come to room temperature for a 1/2 hour while pre-heating your oven to 350°
- Mix the plum mixture in a medium bowl, remove the roasting rack long enough to spread out the plum mixture
- Bake until chicken is golden-skinned and cooked through, approximately 1 1/2 hours
- Carve & serve with the plum mixture