[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
Spinach & Rosemary Pea Soup
Ever feel like having a touch of spring in January? Craving green things after a multitude of hearty soups, stews, & warming foods?
Yep. That was me last night.
Not knowing HOW MUCH spinach was in a 4 lb. bulk bag of spinach I ordered, we had extra spinach…
My kids love to pack buttered peas in their lunch, so I had them in my freezer…
The final touch was fresh rosemary stowed away from some other recipes…
Pea soup is tricky to get just right for an appealing flavor. I think the key is to add enough lemon/apple cider vinegar, a wee bit of heat (cayenne in this case)…and to not overcook it. It should be served and eaten in a short amount of time, so plan accordingly…although I did have the last bit as leftovers today and it was still good, just not as brilliantly green.
This particular recipe is a large one, as we had dinner guests…and 5 of us went back for second bowls! Feel free to cut the recipe in half to suit your own family (or freeze the extra for another night’s dinner!).
- For true Paleo, omit the creme fraiche option.
- This soup is suitable for late stage GAPS Intro or Full GAPS (peas are high fiber vegetables & cayenne powder is not GAPS Intro friendly, so omit if on Intro).Print
Spinach & Rosemary Pea Soup (GAPS + Paleo Friendly)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8-10 1x
- Category: Soup
A refreshing and nourishing spinach & pea soup
- 4 Tbls butter or ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 large carrots, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2–3 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 400 grams fresh spinach (approx. 14 oz)
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen (I used frozen)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbls raw apple cider vinegar (or more to taste)
- 1/8–1/4 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- 4 – 5 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Creme fraiche or cream (optional for garnishing)
- 1 Tbls real sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in large stockpot.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, herbs, 2 tsp salt, and about 1 cup of water.
- Cover & stew for 5 minutes, then add remaining water & broth and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach & peas.
- Push the spinach leaves into the soup and simmer until they turn bright green, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from the stovetop and blend soup in your blender or with immersion blender until smooth (I used my Vitamix and blended it in 3 batches)
- Return to stockpot, add lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, remaining salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with the optional creme fraiche.