Bacon & Lentil Soup (GAPS & Paleo Friendly)
Last winter while visiting Canadian parts (far more northern than Vermont, as in -20 F for days on end) I adapted this Bacon Lentil soup from a good friend’s pot, to fit the GAPS template. We ended up eating this almost every week it was so good.
The recipe is enhanced for digestion by soaking the lentils ahead of time. Lentils, being legumes are in the same category as nuts, grains & seeds which contain enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid that are problematic for digestion. Our ancestors would have taken time and care to specially prepare these for good health.
Why do they contain phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors? Presumably, so they don’t sprout until the right time and conditions, i.e. when they are in the soil and ready to grow. Soaking initiates the process of being in the soil, which also makes legumes like lentils easier to digest.
To further the lentil’s digestibility, you can also ferment them. Below are some instructions for fermenting lentils. Or you can simply soak lentils with ACV for a couple of days.
1 lb. cooked lentils
1 Tbls. sea salt
1/4 – 1/2 cup kefir/yogurt whey
1 small chopped onion
1 crushed garlic bulb per jar
2 days on the countertop (may need to “burp” jar & keep on a plate to catch liquid)
Transfer to fridge or use in lentil dishes
A Paleo and GAPS friendly Bacon & Lentil Soup for warming up cold days 🙂
- 2 cups lentils, that are then soaked in 4 cups water with ACV, or fermented
- 3 Tbls butter
- 1 head of celery – diced
- 3-4 carrots – diced
- 2 medium onions – diced
- 1 pkg. sugar-free bacon, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 qts. bone broth or meat stock
- 1 Tbls salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbls ground cumin
- 1/4 cup (+ 2 Tbs if desired) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup (+ 2 Tbs if desired) Dijon mustard
- Heat stockpot over medium heat.
- Place butter in the stockpot, and then add diced celery, carrots, & onions
- Sauté vegetables until tender and slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally
- In a separate pan, begin sautéing bacon until just beginning to crisp
- When vegetables are tender, add broth or stock to the stockpot
- Strain & rinse lentils then add to stockpot
- Add remaining ingredients of sauteed bacon, spices, vinegar, and mustard
- Simmer until flavors begin to meld together
Keywords: bacon, lentil, soup, GAPS, Paleo