If I want the micro-people squealing and jumping in my house, I just tell them I’m making our blueberry cream cheese dessert (GAPS and Grain Free). This is a standard birthday request by my “summer born” son.
Mad skills, this mama power.
I cannot take all the credit…it is my own mom who is the renowned baker and cook in our family and this recipe originated with her. I simply took this childhood favorite of mine, and adapted it for the needs of those who are more limited in their food choices…like those on the GAPS diet, or eating gluten free, or just wanting to avoid white sugar and white flour.
If you are wondering what to make for a delicious summer dessert, or for that next BBQ or birthday party, try this recipe out. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
- Make Ahead – It’s best if you prepare this a couple of hours before your meal so it has time to properly chill
- Cream Cheese – For those doing GAPS, make your cream cheese from 24 hour cultured homemade yogurt. If you are lucky enough to be near a store that carries White Mountain yogurt, which is cultured for 24 hours, you can take a step out of your process. For a video on making your own cream cheese check out – http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/video-liquid-whey-and-cream-cheese/ For real, real cream cheese, use this recipe…making sure to culture for 24 hours – http://nourishedkitchen.com/how-to-make-cream-cheese/
- Gelatin – I personally use Bernard Jensen’s Grassfed Beef Gelatin. You can check that out here – 100% Bovine GELATIN 14oz. (affiliate link)
- Almond Flour – You can use regular almond flour for this recipe, but I recommend Honeyville’s finely ground blanched almond flour. You can purchase that here – Blanched Almond Meal Flour, 5 lbs. (affiliate link)
- Berries – This can be made with just blueberries, but it is nice to mix in some fresh raspberries and even blackberries too!
Let me know what you think in the comments below…and enjoy!Print
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I use Redmond Real Salt)
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons melted butter
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 16 oz. cream cheese (From 24 hr yogurt, for GAPS)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- BERRY MIXTURE
- 4 generous cups of frozen blueberries
- 1 cup raw honey
- 2 tablespoons gelatin
- 4 generous cups of fresh berries
- FOR CRUST
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix crust ingredients together until well blended (I use my KitchenAid)
- Press crust mixture evenly into a 9 x 13 pan
- Bake for 8 minutes, until edges are just becoming golden
- FOR CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- While crust is cooling, whip the cream cheese filling ingredients together with mixer until smooth
- FOR BERRY MIXTURE
- Simmer frozen berries in a medium pot until cooked down and releasing juices
- Add gelatin and honey and simmer for a few more minutes
- (Alternative to gelatin for non-GAPS is 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder, added to cooking blueberries)
- Remove from berry mixture from heat and gently mix in fresh berries with cooked
- Cool the combined berry mixture in fridge until starting to thicken
- When crust is cool, and berry mixture has begun to cool and thicken, spread cream cheese mixture evenly over crust, followed by berry mixture
- Chill dessert until ready to serve