As summer wrapped up we had multiple rounds of company. What to feed them?
At least a couple times a summer I make this fresh, warm, very “svelte” Summer Tomato soup – GAPS + Grain Free (bonus!). So I made it for different groups of company and this was a favorite on the menu. Have your friends join in chopping the tomatoes and you’ll have a happy belly in short order.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin coconut oil, butter, or ghee
- 1 large onion – sliced thin
- 2 jalapenos – diced (or substitute chili pepper flakes to taste)
- 1 medium eggplant – diced (or substitute summer squash of choice)
- 6 – 8 large tomatoes – chopped
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic – crushed or minced
- 2 quarts of homemade chicken or beef stock
- Up to 2 tablespoons each of minced rosemary, thyme, basil or oregano (you can mix & match w/ what you have)
- 1+ tablespoon sea salt
- Pepper to taste
- Optional Nutritional & Taste Booster – 1 cup of beef marrow & fat pate’ (See note below)
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt coconut oil (or butter, or ghee)
- Saute onion, jalapenos, eggplant, tomatoes & garlic in oil, stirring periodically until becoming tender
- Add stock to the pot & let simmer for 20 – 30 minutes
- Add in minced herbs in the last 5 minutes
- Add in salt, pepper & (optional) pate’
- Blend soup with immersion blender until desired consistency
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado
- Goes well with cultured veggies, a green salad & grain free muffins!
For those avoiding dairy this can be both your “creaminess” factor.
After preparing and straining my beef stock, I gather all of the soft bits left with the bones – the marrow, fat, etc. I then puree this with a little bit of broth to make a pate’. Intensely nourishing and healing to the gut, it’s worth the trouble and adds creaminess to your soups and stews.