Creamy Chicken and Peas
Right now chickens are abundant as part of my whole diet CSA share @EssexFarmsCSA. In the past several weeks, I’ve been picking up my food from the farm and putting two fresh chickens right in the oven to roast…which means I have a roast chicken dinner for my kids and company and leftover chicken for other recipes. This Creamy Chicken and Peas recipe is a perfectly easy, comfort-food way to make use of leftover chicken.
Mom win for the week: I taught my youngest to roast her first chickens this past week. Now they all “know” this basic skill. My method is simple:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Place a rack over a baking sheet
- Place two freshly rinsed chickens, breast-side up on the rack & put ample pats of butter/ghee
- Sprinkle the tops of the chickens with sea salt, garlic powder, and fresh-cracked pepper
- Place them in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes per pound (this is generally 1 hour and 30-40 minutes)
Once the chickens are roasted, I (or one of the kids) take the meat off the bone and I’ve got the carcass to make beautiful chicken broth with.Print
This Creamy Chicken and Peas is GAPS Diet comfort food!
- 4 tablespoons butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup 24-hr sour cream
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- In a heavy pan over low heat, slowly caramelize the onions in 1/2 of the butter.
- In a separate pan, melt remaining butter over medium heat and place chicken pieces in just long enough to warm and slightly brown the outside for flavor. Remove from heat while finishing the other pan.
- Add salt, oregano, and peas to the pan with caramelized onions. Cook until peas are warm.
- Turn heat off, add sour cream to onion pan, stirring all ingredients together.
- Add cooked chicken to onion mixture.