Instant Pot GAPS Diet Yogurt
I’ve found the easiest way to make GAPS Yogurt for the required 24-hours. It’s Instant Pot GAPS Diet yogurt.
On the GAPS Introduction Diet, dairy is introduced quite soon (whey in Stage 2, followed by ghee, raw cultured butter, 24-hour yogurt or sour cream, followed by 24-hour kefir) at the same time that one is healing the lining of the gastrointestinal tract…which is the root cause of so many food sensitivities and allergies.
All dairy is cultured for 24+ hours on the GAPS Diet because this allows for beneficial bacteria or yeasts to consume the lactose that is in the milk and make it more digestible.
If you’ve ever wondered how you can find raw milk where you are, here is a place to start – https://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/
What you’ll need for Instant Pot GAPS Diet Yogurt
- Grassfed raw milk (or the highest quality pasteurized you can find, NOT Ultra-pasteurized which is completely dead & doesn’t belong in the human body)
- Yogurt starter (my favorite is GI Pro Health Yogurt Starter)
- Instant Pot w/ a yogurt setting
- Containers for refrigerating your yogurt
You can use good quality commercial yogurt for your starter, but I prefer the consistency of a yogurt starter.
The GI Pro Health yogurt starter only requires 1/8 teaspoon of starter for 2 quarts of milk, so it lasts a long time. This starter can also be used with non dairy milks such as nuts or coconut milk.Print
Lactose free 24 hour Instant Pot GAPS Diet Yogurt
- 2 quarts grass-fed raw milk (preferably from heritage breed cows)
- 1/8 teaspoon GI ProHealth Yogurt Starter
- Pour milk into an Instant Pot with a “Yogurt” setting.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Push the Yogurt button.
- Push the Adjust button (boil should then show up on the screen)
- The Instant Pot will then bring the milk to near boiling, which is what is needed for consistent results with a starter.
- When milk has finished heating, take the Instant Pot insert out & allow the milk to cool down to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- When milk has cooled to 110, add the yogurt starter & mix together.
- Place Pot insert back into the Instant Pot.
- Push the Yogurt button again.
- Push the + button to 24:00 for 24 hours of warming & culturing.
- When it’s finished, ladle into containers and refrigerate!