Summer is my absolute favorite season of the year. There. I’ve said it. Lighter clothes, heavenly flower scents, river swimming, sunshine, green Green Mountains, open windows, fireflies, camping, neighborhood walking in flip-flops, a break from school demands…
It’s also a good time to be more flexible in your schedule so that you can take on some family health issues. As many of you know I’m a big proponent of the GAPS™ Protocol for dietary healing.
The backbone of the GAPS™ Protocol is plenty of nourishing soup that includes the all important bone broth or meat stock. This is a critical piece for the restoration of the digestive tract and brain.
Sometimes hot soup isn’t appealing though, when it’s 90 in the shade (!)
Enter GAPS Cuban Pea Soup, combining a little spicy with the subtle sweet tang of tarragon and peas. You can enjoy it hot, but it’s especially great cold. Simple to prepare, you can assemble the ingredients and simply throw everything in the blender. I use a Vitamix, but any blender should be appropriate.
GAPS Summer Soups
This soup will also be featured in my upcoming GAPS Summer Soups downloadable recipe book. A recipe book that features only GAPS friendly, chilled summer soups!
Recipe inspired by Creamy Tarragon Pea Soup in The Naked Foods Cookbook written by Margaret Floyd & James BarryPrint
- Cuban Peas
- 1 tablespoon ghee or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 lb frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon filtered water
- Cuban Pea Soup
- 2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 cups Cuban Peas (see above)
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- For Cuban Peas:
- Melt butter (or ghee) in a large skillet over medium heat
- Add spices to skillet as butter is melting
- Add peas to skillet and stir with butter and spices
- Add 1 tablespoon of water and cover
- Cook for 5 minutes, until peas are warmed and bright green
- For Cuban Pea Soup:
- Combine Cuban Peas and remaining Cuban Pea Soup ingredients in a blender of your choice
- Blend until smooth and well combined
- Chill and serve
If you are going to try this recipe, or have made & enjoyed it, please share! Let me know in the comments below, or by using the share buttons at the top and bottom of this post.