As a young(er) wife and mother, I remember making banana bread often. I was an avid quick-bread and muffin baker and I found it to be an excellent way to use up my over-ripe bananas…that didn’t make it into the baby food grinder or a toddler’s little fists.
I first made banana bread with white or whole wheat flour bought cheaply from the big Meijer’s store close to us. When I started learning about traditional foods and preparation through the Weston Price Foundation, I gradually switched to sprouting, dehydrating, and grinding my own wheat berries into flour, with more of a connection to its process and origin.
Then our food and healing adventures led us to the GAPS Diet protocol and for whatever reason we haven’t banana bread much since we began our adventures on the GAPS Diet. But a visiting friend had a hankering for banana bread…so it was time to convert another recipe over to its grain free version!
I still haven’t found a substitute for the white sugar topped lemon-blueberry muffins that my mom passed down to me, but I’ll keep thinking on that 🙂
This recipe for grain free banana bread is inspired and adapted from one of my favorite blogs for grain free baking, Comfy Belly.
Grain free banana bread (GAPS, gluten free, paleo friendly)
- Category: Quick bread
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour (store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (or ghee or coconut oil)
- 3 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas (approximately 1 cup mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Blend all the dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, blend the wet ingredients together, and then mix them into the dry ingredients. I use a mixer.
- Grease the baking pan with ghee, coconut oil, or butter. Line with parchment for added ease of removing the finished bread.
- Add the batter to the baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool and slice. Enjoy with plenty of ghee or butter!