Grain-Free Cauliflower Mac ‘N Cheese (GAPS-friendly)
I am so lucky to have an assistant who is on the GAPS Diet with her little guy.
Deanna came up with a simple and easy recipe for grain-free cauliflower “Mac ‘N Cheese” that even my non-cauliflower-loving child liked. I tweaked it a bit, and now I get to share it with you!
Of course, it is not really the kind of Mac ‘N Cheese with the trappings of pasta, Velveeta, white sauce, etc. that I grew up with. But it is sure a grand way to eat cauliflower…
Cauliflower has the benefits of being:
– high in lots of vitamins & minerals
– a good source of natural fiber
– low-carb for those who are counting
– high in choline & antioxidants
You can make this recipe even more simple by using one pot (for both the steaming of the cauliflower and the making of the sauce). I chose to cook the cauliflower in my steamer pot and made the sauce in a separate pot.Print
Grain-Free Cauliflower “Mac ‘N Cheese” for the GAPS Diet
- Put the chopped cauliflower in a steamer pot over about an inch of boiling water, put the top on it and steam until fork tender (approximately 6-7 minutes).
- Drain the excess water.
- In a separate pot, with the burner on very low heat, add butter and cheddar cheese, stir until melty.
- Add the kefir & sour cream until the desired thickness of the sauce is reached and mix some more.
- Add nutmeg and salt, stir in.
- Mix cheese mixture with steamed cauliflower and sprinkle parmesan & grated pepper on top.
Optional: I chose to put my cauliflower & cheese mixture in an oven proof bowl and I put it under the broiler for about two minutes before serving.