I was recently asked by a reader what 24 Hour GAPS Diet Sour Cream was and how to find out more information, and I realized that it would be a very helpful addition to the Honest Body recipe section. So, over the next few weeks, we are going to be adding some very basic GAPS recipes. We’ll start with 24-hr sour cream, which is featured in several of my decadent ice cream recipes like raspberry, cherry mango, and strawberry.
Benefits of 24 Hour GAPS Dairy
- The lactose, or milk sugar, in the cream or milk that is cultured for 24-hours is consumed by the beneficial bacteria & yeasts
- Dairy from grass-fed cows is incredibly nutrient-rich and contains a full profile of amino acids, vitamins, minerals, enzymes, essential fatty acids, as well as more digestible fat and protein.
- Many beneficial bacterias and yeasts are introduced to the body, from the esophagus down to the lower GI tract. This can help to rebuild a healthy intestinal tract.
**Note: In cases of constipation on GAPS, it can be helpful to add in high-fat dairy (i.e. sour cream or ghee), rather than high-protein dairies such as yogurt or kefir.Print
24 Hour Sour Cream is the dairy that is allowable on the GAPS™ Protocol.
- 1 cup of heavy cream (preferably organic, raw and from grass-fed cows)
- 1/4 cup of finished 24-hr kefir
- In a clean pint mason jar with lid, mix the cup of heavy cream with the 1/4 of kefir.
- Let it sit in a warm place on your countertop for 24+ hours.
- Stir and refrigerate.
- Enjoy in any recipes that call for sour cream!