GAPS Diet Friendly Strawberry Ice Cream
We have the best local news and community building source in our small Vermont town. It’s called Front Porch Forum and this week it was how I found a new (to me) spot for picking organic strawberries. Thus, the creation of my next ice cream iteration, a GAPS Diet-friendly Strawberry Ice Cream.
We’ve had a lot of extra rain in this part of the country, more than usual I would say. So, strawberry season has come a little late. I wasn’t going to miss an opportunity to pick beautiful red fruits in the sunshine on a Saturday morning!
My youngest daughter, Charlotte, and I headed out with a little chunk of time and rapidly picked 6 quarts under the June sun. Not a marathon picking session, but certainly enough for making strawberry ice cream and other goodness for a couple of days!
This recipe is a variation on my raspberry ice cream and mango cherry ice cream. It is, as they are, divine in taste and rich in healthy, nourishing fats. Add in the nutrients from sun-ripened strawberries, raw honey, and grass-fed gelatin and it’s good enough to be considered a healthy food (almost). Because it is made with 24-hour sour cream (or full-fat coconut milk for the dairy-free) it is Full GAPS diet-friendly. If you are not on GAPS, I still suggest using sour cream because…the flavor…oh my.Print
The Best GAPS Diet Strawberry Ice Cream
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
The BEST GAPS Diet Strawberry Ice Cream – Creamy and delicious!
- 4 cups fresh strawberries (washed, hulled, sliced in 1/2)
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup raw local honey (depends on how sweet you like it)
- 1 Tbls raw apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1/8 tsp Real sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp grass-fed gelatin
- 3 Tbls cold water
- 2 cups high quality 24-hr sour cream (for a dairy-free option, use full-fat coconut milk)
- In a heatproof bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the water and let it “bloom” for 5 minutes
- Put the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor (I used my Vitamix)
- Over your stove top, gently warm the gelatin and water until just liquified
- Add gelatin mixture into the remaining ingredients in blender or food processor and blend till just combined
- Pour mixture into prepared ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s directions
- I use a KitchenAid ice cream maker, keeping the bowl chilled in our freezer at all times
- To ensure that the ice cream is nice and firm, place the finished ice cream into the freezer for an additional 30 – 60 minutes before serving
Keywords: Strawberry, Ice-Cream, GAPS Diet