I’ve been craving something warm and satisfying on these cold, Vermont mornings. Prior to our GAPS Diet days I would make soaked oatmeal almost every morning for my family.
On GAPS, we were freed from a lot of our sweet cravings and we got used to a much different breakfast for healing purposes…a breakfast often composed of eggs, soup, and veggies. But it is really nice to have something different every once in a while…
So I set out to make a replacement and came up with a grain free cauliflower oatmeal. No, it doesn’t taste exactly like oatmeal, but it is pretty delicious in and of itself. It warms the tummy, makes my kids happy, and fills them up…which is all you can ask, right?
Grain Free Cauliflower “Oatmeal” (Grain free, gluten free, primal, paleo, GAPS friendly)
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Breakfast
- 3 – 4 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter)
- 4 cups cauliflower, riced (approximately 1 head of cauliflower, chunked then put through the food processor to be fine as possible)
- 4 cups of milk (I used raw goat’s milk, coconut milk could be substituted for a dairy free Paleo option)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon gluten free vanilla
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (I used Redmond’s Real salt)
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- After ricing and setting aside the cauliflower, blend the milk and eggs.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot (I used my stock pot) and saute’ the cauliflower for a minute or so until it starts to soften.
- Add the milk and egg mixture and bring to a simmering, stirring enough so that the cauliflower doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- When the mixture is beginning to thicken up after about 5 – 8 minutes, add in the vanilla, honey, cinnamon, sea salt, and raisins.
- Stir for a minute or so longer and serve warm with the toppings of your choice.
Raw cream or creme fraiche’
And a few pictures of the process…
with Love and Warmth,