I’m not sure how long I’ve had this recipe on my fridge…on a wrinkled and much used index card. I finally wrote it down after developing this homemade mayo that everyone loved.
The secret ingredients? Melted butter & walnut oil.
This mayo is made with health-full fats, nourishing egg yolks, and immune boosting garlic for a mayonnaise that you can feel good about using in dips, plain mixed with tuna fish, or for any of your grain-free (or not) sandwich adventures. We make this almost every week as a staple.
And, yes…it is chef approved! We had the privilege of hosting friends in our home, one of whom was a chef, and he was excited enough about the mayo to ask for the recipe (glad you liked this mayo, Daniel!).
May you enjoy this recipe as well, and find it useful in your kitchen.
P.S. The recipe is forgiving, so if you need to adjust some oils/quantities you can. I’ve made this with hazelnut oil in place of olive oil, and subbed more butter or less butter, etc…just make sure you have a total of 2 cups of oils.Print
Melanie’s Walnut Garlic Mayo (Paleo & GAPS Friendly)
- Yield: 2 1/4 cups
- 4 pastured egg yolks (room temp)
- 2 Tbls. raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup butter (gently melted)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (gently melted)
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- While gently melting the butter and coconut oil place egg yolks, vinegar, mustard, salt, cayenne, & garlic in a food processor fitted with blade and equipped with a small removable pusher with a hole for adding the oils.
- Blend for approximately 30 seconds.
- When butter & coconut oil are gently melted, combine with walnut & olive oil in a pouring vessel.
- While food processor is running, pour oils in a slow, steady stream…barely more than a drip.
- When oils are approximately 1/2 poured in, you can pour the rest of the oils faster into the feeding tube, as the hole in the feeder tube will keep the oils from going in too fast.
- The mayo is done when all the oils are incorporated and the mayo is a nice thickness.
- See video for demonstration.