Apricot chicken (Grain-free, Paleo, GAPS friendly)
Might you be looking for a recipe to zest up your next grain-free chicken dish? This Apricot Chicken may be the flavor you’re looking for. Simple to make, it uses the sweet, tart flavor of apricot jam and dried apricots to provide interest.
- This recipe uses ghee to cook the chicken (see my post about making ghee), but you can use any healthy, grass-fed animal fat, such as beef or lamb tallow, chicken schmaltz, or pastured pork lard.
- Source the best quality chicken you can find. Use this tier of quality as a guide.
- Best– pasture-raised, humanely-raised
- Better– free-range, organic
- Good– organic
- Okay– hormone and antibiotic-freePrint
Simple to make, this Apricot Chicken recipe uses the sweet, tart flavor of apricot jam and dried apricots to provide interest.
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 3 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 2 small onions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 18 dried pitted apricots, chopped
- 1 cup sugar-free apricot jam
- Heat ghee in a large skillet over medium heat
- Season chicken with salt & pepper & place in skillet
- Brown the chicken on all sides
- With tongs remove chicken to a plate, place onions in skillet & return chicken to skillet
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in apple cider vinegar & let it reduce
- Add in stock & dried apricots, bring to a boil
- Stir in apricot jam, reduce heat, simmer for 10 minutes or until internal heat reaches 165°