[et_pb_section admin_label=”section”][et_pb_row admin_label=”row”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
First guest posted on Empowered Sustenance.
I love surprising guests with something that tastes great, yet is made without grains and white sugar. Recently, I had another chance to pull off a fun culinary confection when it was my daughter’s 10th birthday. I let her have her choice of cakes to celebrate, and she chose a strawberry cake with strawberry frosting. So with a little inspiration, I developed this Grain Free GAPS Strawberry Cake.
This recipe is for one 9 inch round cake. The recipe can either be doubled, for a two-layer taller cake, or carefully serrated in half for two layers of cake from one pan. When cooled completely, frost with a double batch of my Strawberry Buttercream Frosting (GAPS friendly, refined sugar free)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, grated
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup homemade whole-milk yogurt (24 hour culture for GAPS)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper and coat the sides with butter or coconut oil.
- Put the honey and eggs in the bowl of a standing mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on medium-high (setting 6 on my Kitchen-aid mixer) for 5+ minutes, until pale yellow and frothy.
- Add the grated butter and mix for another minute.
- In a separate bowl, mix the coconut flour, salt, & baking soda together, then add to the honey & eggs mixture. Mix for about 1 minute.
- Gently mix in diced strawberries, yogurt and vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting.