Instant Pot Citrus Pulled Pork
Tender pork roast combined with pineapple, citrus, spices, and cilantro…Yum! This recipe for Instant Pot Citrus Pulled Pork is a comforting crowd-pleaser recipe in my book. And the Instant Pot makes it so much quicker to make.
A few notes on this recipe. On the GAPS Protocol, it’s suggested that canned/tinned foods are avoided. So, you can replace the 20 ounces of crushed pineapple with about 2 1/2 cups of finely chopped fresh pineapple. If you are doing well digestively, you can experiment with the canned option. Also, I used a simple citrus juicer to get the required orange juice. That would be recommended over using commercial, pasteurized orange juice.
There will be leftover juices & pineapple after cooking your pulled pork. I’ve found these to be delicious cooked in a pan with the leftover pulled pork as well as other leftover meats (like chicken or sliced pork chops). The flavor is even more pronounced as well as citrusy/caramelized.
May you enjoy this as much our family does. If you want more GAPS dinner recipes, including side dishes & a weekly dessert, check out the GAPS Dinner Club.
GAPS Diet comfort food – Instant Pot Citrus Pulled Pork
- 4 tablespoons lard or ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded & diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 20 ounces or 2 1/2 cups finely chopped pineapple
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 pounds pork roast
- fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Press the Saute button on Instant Pot and scoop the lard or ghee into the Instant Pot
- Place the onion & jalapeños and cook for 5 minutes, stirring periodically
- Put in the remaining ingredients, except the roast, and mix them together before placing the roast on top
- Spoon some of the mixture on top of the roast
- Press the Keep Warm/Cancel button and secure the lid, sealing the pressure valve
- Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button and use the -/+ buttons to set the time to 45 minutes
- When cook time is done, quick release the pressure valve and remove the lid when it is safe to
- Shred the pork with two forks and serve
- Alternatively, if desired, slice roast to serve