Grain free taco salad
One of my missions in life is to prove that when you set out to do a healing protocol, or to eat in such a way that supports the foundations of health (diet, digestion, blood sugar management, fatty acid status, mineral status, and hydration)…one doesn’t need to give up food that tastes good.
This grain free taco salad recipe is in my Blood Sugar Reset collection of recipes, and it also fits the GAPS Protocol when doing Full GAPS. Enjoy this grain free version of the classic taco salad!
A note on pre-soaking the navy beans
The beans in the recipe are White Navy beans, one of the allowed legumes on the Full GAPS Diet. Legumes like navy beans can be high in minerals, like calcium, iron, and magnesium, but they are also high in phytic acid, which acts as an inhibitor of mineral absorption, especially iron and zinc. So in order to benefit from the nutritious minerals that are in the beans, the phytic acid in them needs to be neutralized first.
To properly prepare the navy beans in this recipe, soak them in warm water overnight, drain them, then place them in a pot with fresh water to boil them gently until soft. Drain and rinse when done. This process helps to break down phytic acid in the beans, making them more digestible and nutritious.
Flavor Full Additions
In addition to the recipe below, you can also add the following:
- Diced tomatoes
- GAPS friendly hot sauce
- Chopped cilantro
- 24-hour cultured sour cream
- GAPS friendly salsa verde
Homemade Taco Seasoning
The taco seasoning used in this recipe can be found here.
GAPS Diet Taco Salad, a grain-free version of a classic fun food
- CREAMY AVOCADO DRESSING
- 1 large avocado
- 3 Tbls fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- TACO SEASONED BEEF
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- Honest Body homemade taco seasoning to taste
- SALAD FIXINGS
- 8-12 cups fresh organic lettuce greens
- 1-2 large avocados, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Northern beans (soaked overnight and cooked first)
- Combine all ingredients of avocado dressing into a blender, or blend with an immersion blender.
- Gently brown the ground beef, then add the taco seasoning to taste.
- Serve greens on individual plates with remaining ingredients in serving bowls for folks to dress their own salad.
- Alternatively, combine all in one large bowl, assembling ingredients in this order: greens, taco beef, cheese, and additional toppings.