If you are like me, having a carton of Darigold eggnog in the refrigerator was a pretty special treat as a kid! Just another reason that the holiday season is so magical. If you are like my (then teenage) brother, you would consume the entire carton before your sister got a chance at it!
But now we are all adults and I make my own GAPS eggnog (and occasionally add a little whiskey). I do still share with my brother 😉
And the best thing is, my GAPS eggnog is not only delicious but also good for you. I came up with this recipe last year when I was a stressed out Grad student. Back then, I was not getting enough sleep. But I was doing something to help my body produce enough hormones (adrenal support), and it was delicious! It is an adrenal support milkshake, AKA GAPS-legal eggnog!
Okay, so what are the secret ingredients that make this GAPS eggnog a superfood for your endocrine system? Cholesterol and fat!
This is because: “Adrenals love fat and cholesterol. So, as far as the diet is concerned, eat lots of animal fats with every meal and cholesterol-rich foods, such as egg yolks, sour cream, butter. Another essential for the adrenals is sleep! Sleep is really not optional, so organise your life in such a way that you can have a nap every afternoon and a good long sleep at night,” says Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride.
Your gut, adrenal/endocrine system, and sexual health issues (including mood, libido, and lubrication) are intimately linked. Adrenal support is important for everyone, but women seem to be suffering more these days from adrenal fatigue.
So, feel free to enjoy a nap this afternoon and then have a nice glass of GAPS eggnog by the fire- guilt-free!Print
A sweet, creamy, and festive way to support your adrenal health.
- If the honey is crystallized or stiff, warm it up until it is smooth and flows freely. You can either put the jar in a pot of warm water and heat it up that way, or pour the needed honey into a pot and warm it without water.
- Separate eggs, putting the whites in a jar for later and the yolks into your blender.
- Add sour cream and kefir or yogurt to the blender.
- Add vanilla, salt, and nutmeg.
- Finally, add honey and immediately begin to blend. Blend the mixture until all honey is incorporated.
- Serve with a bit of ground nutmeg on top.
- The texture of the eggnog (how thick or thin it is) will depend on how thick your kefir or yogurt is.
- You can add less honey and it is still delicious to the seasoned GAPS palate. This recipe is sweet enough for my brother:)
Keywords: Eggnog, GAPS eggnog, adrenal support, adrenal milkshake
That’s it! This recipe couldn’t be easier.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know how it turned out in the comments!