Meat stock is a staple of the GAPS diet protocol. Consuming the recommended 3-5 cups per day for therapeutic dosage means lots of boiled meat. Using drumsticks, wings, or necks to make your meat stock will yield less meat. Still, eating chicken soup can get a bit old after a while, so we came up with ten delicious ways to use leftover chicken on the GAPS diet. Try drinking the stock in a mug as a side for one of these delicious recipes!
Leftover Chicken Recipes for Intro GAPS Diet
- Shred the meat and use as a topping on a pureed soup, such as this delicious roasted garlic soup. This soup is legal from Stage 4 on, or Stage 2 if you simmer rather than roast the veggies and use fresh rather than dried basil.
- Make this delicious and easy Creamy Chicken and Peas recipe, legal from Stage 4 on.
- Make a small salad of soft lettuce and cilantro, top with shredded chicken and homemade sauerkraut. Drizzle over the salad a simple dressing of olive oil (3 Tbs) + lemon or lime juice (1-2 Tbs) + 1/2 avocado + pinch of salt. Stage 5 and beyond.
- Make classic chicken salad by mixing chopped chicken with this mayo, chopped fresh scallions, dill, lemon juice, and salt. Make lettuce wraps using soft lettuce for lunch or a snack. Stage 5 and beyond.
- Put it in this frittata with other veggies. This could be made from Stage 3 if cheese is omitted and non-fibrous veggies are used.
Leftover Chicken Recipes for the Full GAPS Diet
- Replace the ground meat in this chili recipe with leftover chicken. Just add it in with all the other ingredients, after sauteing the onions.
- Make this Masala sauce and heat it in a skillet with the chicken. Serve over cauliflower rice.
- Mix the chicken in with this cauliflower “mac” for a hearty meal.
- Make this chicken pot pie recipe GAPS friendly by replacing the mozzarella with jack or cheddar, omitting the xanthan gum, and replacing the heavy cream with GAPS 24-hr cultured cream.
- Use this pesto recipe to make dressing for a chicken pesto salad with lettuce, tomatoes, and red onion. Or serve the chicken with pesto over zucchini noodles.
Do you have other favorite ways to use leftover boiled meat? Please share in the comments!